This is a series of interactive talks, learning workshops and other knowledge and networking events on marine ecology and the economy in the Bay of Bengal region. I’m hosting this series co-organized by the Bay of Bengal Stewardship, the American Center, ULAB-Sussex Center for Critical and Qualitative Studies, Aquatic Bioresource Research Lab of Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, and Future Startup.
Venue: The American Center, U.S. Embassy Annex, J Block, Progati Sharani, Baridhara, Dhaka
Major Topics: Transboundary issues in the Bay of Bengal’s Large Marine Ecosystem (BOBLME); sustainable fisheries and other blue economy sectors; climate resilience of communities and businesses; ocean literacy; and workforce development for community-led conservation.
Format: Events will include curated talks, facilitated conversations and participatory learning sessions. During each event, two or three speakers will present their talk and then engage in a facilitated conversation with the audience.
Participation: If you are working in marine conservation and blue economy sectors or have a genuine interest in related topics, you are welcome to participate. Participation in the talks is by invitation only. Please find below the URLs to express your interest.
4# PANEL DISCUSSION on CONSERVATION COMMUNICATION
Date: February 12, 2020
Expression of Interest: https://forms.gle/RYUErnczoihtU8Ef8
3# TALKS & LEARNING WORKSHOP
Date: December 10, 2019
Expression of Interest: https://forms.gle/vxin5uEy3W2HFVK87 (Closed)
1. Dr. Haseeb Md Irfanullah, Independent Consultant – Environment, Climate Change, & Research System
2. Professor Dr. Mark Risse, P.E., Director, Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant, University of Georgia
2# INTERACTIVE TALKS
Date: November 06, 2019
Expression of Interest: https://forms.gle/rZ3iKitqPBwy3WHPA (Closed)
1. Shamir Shehab, Lecturer, Department of Political Science & Sociology, North South University
Title of talk: State of climate finance in Bangladesh: Is she doing enough to build resilience for the most vulnerable to ensure climate justice?
2. Dr. Kazi Ahsan Habib, Dean, Faculty of Fisheries, Aquaculture & Marine Science, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University (SAU)
Title of talk: Molecular genetics to improve marine conservation in the Bay of Bengal region
1# TALKS & LEARNING WORKSHOP
Date: October 24, 2019
Expression of Interest: https://forms.gle/rjfsYUvTeNCPeAA27 (Closed)
1. Mahatub Khan Badhon, Lecturer, Department of Zoology, University of Dhaka
Title of talk: Public Participation in Marine Fisheries and Wildlife Conservation
2. Dr. Mona Behl, Associate Director, the Georgia Sea Grant & Public Service Faculty, Marine Extension Service, the University of Georgia
Title of talk: A Tale of Two Cities: How Sea Grant helped Tybee Island and St. Marys Save Money while Saving Lives